Re: Web site rendering - images need width+height

On 11/03/2013 11:09 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I just checked the Lubuntu.net web site over a slow connection and it
>> could use some minor tweaking to improve how it renders.  Specifically
>> all the image elements (IMG) that it loads ought to have valid width and
>> height attributes set in order to make the page load smoothly.
>>
>> Without width and height, the page gets re-rendered each time an image
>> or icon completes loading.  Because the pages have a lot of icons, this
>> means that they spend a lot of time jumping around again and again until
>> they settle into the final layout.  On a slow connection this can be a
>> disturbingly long time and it's not possible to read the page until it
>> is finished.  Adding valid width and height attributes would fix that.
>>
>> Even for those with fast connections, having valid width and height
>> attributes for all image (IMG) elements would make the page appear to
>> load faster.
>>
>> Should this get a bug report or is it enough to write here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> /Lars
>

> Hi Lars,
>
> Long time, no see :)

Hi,
Thanks for being so active.

> There was a very recent discussion about some important issue on the
> website: https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-comms/msg00702.html
>
> The issue you brought could be less important from the current mistakes on
> the website but definitely what you are talking about is yet another issue
> that raise a big Q mark.

Who has write access to fix the attribute problem?

There is also some general lint which could be fixed after a couple of
passes through a validator:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lubuntu.net%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Usability / accessibility are an important part of marketing and outreach.

Regards,
/Lars