Re: keymap us(alt-intl) not working as expected.

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 10:44:43 -0200
Federico Leoni <effelle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2013/11/3 Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx>:

> >> André,
> >>
> >> thanks for making me ring a bell in my head.
> >> my desktop (running 13.04) is set to PT-BR, if I change language to US
> >> the keyboard start acting strange as on others PC.
> >>  Setting to PT-BR my netbook and notebook solved the problem but I
> >> need an English setup here. And have a keyboard that change behavior
> >> with the language is not the best.
> >>
> >> @Nio:
> >>
> >> could you gently try to set your system language to Swedish to see if
> >> the keyboard starts acting fine? I'll wait your reply then I'll update
> >> informations on Launchpad.
> >>
> >> F.
> >>

> > To make something clean I installed from Lubuntu_13.10oct30.tar.xz,
> > selected Swedish at the OEM finishing screen, added Swedish language,
> > set it system-wide. and rebooted.
> >
> > The clock, pull down menus, letters in the terminal windows are Swedish,
> > for example åäö. but the issue with c is still there.
> >
> > It behaves as I described earlier
> >
> > Acute accent + c  prints ç in 12.04.3 but ć in 13.10
> >
> > setxkbmap pt gives a keyboard where I get ç, where the US keyboard has ;
> > (semicolon), the key below p.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Nio
>
> @Nio:
>
> Colud you add a comment to the bug with your new info? I think is
> better to avoid misunderstandings.
>
> @André:
>
> Could you gently try to set your whole system to US e test the
> keyboard for us? If is acting strange please add yourself to the
> affected user list on the bug report. Thanks.

Hi,

To the people affected by this bug, I would like to suggest trying also to configure
their keyboard with dpkg-reconfigure. ie:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

with or without sudo anyhow. To avoid the lxkeymap bug (in a 12.04 basis it simply does
not keep the configuration) I use this one desktop file in "Bento" (Ubuntu Openbox Remix,
12.04):
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/usr/share/applications/keyboard-configuration.desktop

The reconfiguration is system wide, which is not ideal but at least works:
Exec=gksu "xterm -maximized -e 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration'"

If you try to reconfigure with dpkg-reconfigure and that it provides the right keyboard,
the problem would be only in the gui app. I think trying the command line could
perhaps give an additional information.

Regards,
Mélodie