i386 trusty desktop no functional graphical session

The last two i386 desktop images have failed to produce systems with
usable graphical interfaces.  The most recent one, from 2013-12-10,
won't long me in automatically though I selected that.  But that's minor.

When I do log in, I'm presented with the desktop background image and no
task bar.  Shortcut keys like ctrl-alt-t don't work.  I can go to a
console (ctrl-alt-f1) and launch a graphical application, such as firefox

	DISPLAY=:0.0 firefox &

but after it is up and running, I cannot reposition the window nor
resize it.  Has a bug been filed already for this?  If so which one? If
not, which component is it?  My guess might be the window manager.

Regards,
/Lars

Follow ups