Ubuntu 14.04 LTS flavours will work with Pentium M and Celeron M

Hi everybody,

I think the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS flavours will work with Pentium M and
Celeron M CPUs :-)

I wrote this comment in the bug report at Launchpad about the bug for
Pentium M and Celeron M CPUs with PAE capability but without PAE flag.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/baltix/+bug/930447

-----
Now it is time for me to say thank you :-)

First of all, *I want to thank everybody contributing* to solving this
bug, or complex of bugs, concerning Pentium M and Celeron M CPUs and new
Ubuntu based kernels.

Then I want to mention roland aus köln (devzero-c), who continued
pushing this issue when we had given up (either completely or like me,
resorting to work-arounds).

And I want to thank Chris Bainbridge, who was able to do the actual
bug-fixes that made the ship turn around. I don't know if you are a
developer or a very skilled user, but you made a great difference.

Finally I want to thank you Chris for sharing the link to instructions,
that actually got me over the threshold to build a custom syslinux
bootable system. I'm working right now on a debian system, that should
be able to install from a CD/DVD or USB drive to very different systems
(including very old and limited systems) by flashing compressed image
files (img.xz files) or iso files and growing the file system when there
is extra space available.

I show the link again for everybody else, who might be interested. It
works for me with a couple of minor tweaks, the main one that I needed
to import a gpg key separately.

Best regards
sudodus alias Nio

----- Comment #279 -----
Chris Bainbridge (chris-bainbridge) wrote on 2014-03-03: #279

lkml: "grub is jumping to the 32-bit entry point and skipping the entire
real mode setup code. Bad grub."

You don't need to build a syslinux bootable iso. You can boot the kernel
from Grub in 16-bit mode by using the linux16 command
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/linux16.html and
initrd16 https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/initrd16.html

According to the discussion on LKML, linux16 is now the default on
Fedora, and should be used by other distributions.

(If you still want to build a custom syslinux bootable system, just for
fun, see the instructions at
http://willhaley.com/blog/create-a-custom-debian-live-environment/ -
it's about 25 lines of code in total, and not difficult to follow)
-----