status of PPC in 14.10 (was Re: URGENT last minute testing needed)

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I notice that PPC has silently been dropped from iso.qa.ubuntu.com's
> qa testing.  What's the official word?

I decided to remove it from 14.10 for several reasons:
1. We didn't get enough testing until the end of the cycle. I
appreciate everyone's effort and we did fix some bugs so it was
worthwhile! However, we did not fix enough to make it release ready in
my opinion.
2. We have a MAJOR bug affecting Radeon graphics machines that does
not seem like it's going to come with an easy fix
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1377878). I'm
going to do what I can to get this solved, but it's going to be an
uphill battle.
3. I'm not sure what Qt support is like for PPC.

That being said, I'm going to focus on LTS. I know 14.04 works on my
G4. I'm hopeful (though I may be a little too optimistic) that we can
get everything working again on 15.04.

Also note that amd64+mac isn't there either. Ubuntu's dropping it.
>From what I'm told, their release notes should cover this. Long story
short, my assertion that very few old EFI machines exist that don't
have firmware updates by now was confirmed. That being said, Intel Mac
folks can just switch to amd64.

And while we're talking about dropping archs, check out:
https://bryanquigley.com/crazy-ideas/still-running-32-bit-ubuntu/

--
@wxl
Lubuntu Release Manager, Head of QA