Re: Utopic Unicorn QA report

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Walter Lapchynski <wxl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Finally PPC folks, I need to look deeper into Boris' suggestion about boot
> parameters with Radeon graphics. If anyone can test that and comment on the
> bug, that would be great:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1377878
> If we can at least have a good workaround, that would be great. Then we
> start looking at Qt support of PPC.
>
> What do you guys think about PPC only for LTS versions? It might give us
> the extra time we seem to often need.

@wxl:

As I CC'd you after I tried Boris' suggestion on booting the 14.10 Live
DVD, using the AGP boot parameter got me into a clean GUI and for the most
part everything worked, certainly the GUI did not "freeze" like it did when
using the "radeonfb" parameters.  Only problem was setting the time did not
"hold" in "manual" and "synching with internet servers" did not work.
Otherwise, for my iBook G4 with radeon driver . . . it "worked."

In terms of support for PPC in LTS only, personally I think that is fine,
LTS is my choice for almost all of my linux systems, since the hardware
can't really make use of bleeding edge software, LTS is more than likely
just fine; those that have the skills probably can get anything to work,
but for "end users" like myself, not enough time to be dealing with the 6
month cycle on upgrades . . . .  But, considering that the hardware more or
less continues, having something for PPC is better than dropping it
altogether, and, as I mentioned before, it seems like AmigaOne is bringing
a larger potential user base for alternative operating systems . . . .  : -
)