Re: OT: Survey on "Still running PPC?"--The Radeon Affair

Heya Walter,

hi all,

sure thing, but it's actually in there in parts already, but I will look
into making it more stand out as it got lost somewhat in between all the
various entries and the ppc related info-material.

To sum it all up again:

*1.* yaboot params don't seem to stick/ carry over from live-boot initiated
installations (intentionally?? for many mac users this would probably be
unexpected and result in what I'd like to describe as "wtf I already had
the correct params set why doesn't it work as expected" and be cause for
confusion as the needed workarounds to "make it work" would not be actually
used anymore while still assumed to be in use, so likely cause for
seemingly "not working out of the box

*Question: *

what can be done about that or is pointing to more detailed Information on
that and the actual params needed the only available course of action or
can those params be set default out of the box on affected system
configurations?

*2.* Radeon 9200/ RV 280 (M9+) chips on the PowerBook6,5 (ibook G4, 12'
inch, 1.2 GHz) and also likely similar ibook and eMac Radeon 9000 range of
chips for some reason won't work reliable on *Radeon*-*KMS* with AGP
transfer enabled, so those need "*radeon.agpmode=**-*1" no idea if it's a
flaw in the way Apple implemented AGP on these ibooks or in combination
with an expectation of the driver on how AGP is supposed to be implemented,
or simply some bug, but it won't work at the moment and causes the freeze
issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1377878

*3.* using the older framebuffer params in any way on top of things causes
conflicts with KMS which even with "*radeon.agpmode=-1*" set would cause
UI/ GUI issues like incomplete loading or nonfuctional UI/ GUI, so we
additionally would need "*video=ofonly*" here and should not try to
additionally use any combination of eg. "radeonfb" (which quite a few older
workaround instructions might confusingly suggest and result in the user
having any variation of params but not only the above 2 he or she would
need to make it work)

*4.* with "*video=ofonly radeon.agpmode=-1*" those ibooks would boot and be
useable prefectly fine BUT there will be "sluggish" feeling 2D/ gui/
windows moving and no accel at all which would be the result of not having
Xorg properly configured/ detecting the chip and using the appropriate
driver out of the box which also would have to be initiated manually at
this point:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/1058641

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/1366556
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/1058641>

*to fix from a booted Installation:*

sudo service lightdm stop

sudo Xorg -configure
sudo mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

[Here some driver options could be set, eg. uncomment pageflip and set it
to "True", save any edits and after that reboot]

sudo shutdown -r now

hope I didn't forget anything :)

will look into the FAQ/ Known Issues tomorrow!

Grüße

boris