Re: Libreoffice not pre-installed

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 6:42 AM, Saqman2060 <saqman2060@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I understand lubuntu is a lightweight OS for low-grade desktops. The
> programs included are to complement that purpose. I believe libreoffice is a
> more productive office suite for any grade of Linux distributions. Why not
> included libreoffice in Lubuntu?

We struggle every cycle to keep at least some image of Lubuntu CD
sized. Why? Because lots of old computers can't boot from USB or don't
have USB, don't have DVD, and CD is the only option. Not to mention a
lot of old machines have very small hard drives. That being said, to
do anything that's not lightweight in terms of size is inconsistent
with the goal of Lubuntu.

We recently switched from chromium (174,408.0 kB in Vivid) to firefox
(91,189.0 kB). Though I disagree with some of the reasons we had for
the change, that's certainly a good one. abiword (4,757.0 kB) and
gnumeric (7,616.0 kB) pale in comparison to libreoffice (writer alone,
without the rest of the suite is 25,031.0 kB), especially considering
its dependency on Java.

> Better yet, when the user first installs
> and boots lubuntu, a window should pop up and ask the user if they would
> like to install a more complete office suite and/or remove abiword and
> gnumeric.

This would be like saying "you just installed something that sucks."

Lubuntu is a little bit more like Arch than Ubuntu. We give you the
basics to be functional, but if you really want to have all the bells
and whistles, you're more than happy to install them. I use
libreoffice, google-chrome, gimp, and inkscape. I have good reasons
why. But that doesn't mean I expect those reasons to apply to every
situation.

--
@wxl
Lubuntu Release Manager, Head of QA