Re: Libreoffice not pre-installed

On 2 February 2015 at 15:12, Walter Lapchynski <wxl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 6:42 AM, Saqman2060 <saqman2060@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I understand lubuntu is a lightweight OS for low-grade desktops. The
> > programs included are to complement that purpose. I believe libreoffice
> is a
> > more productive office suite for any grade of Linux distributions. Why
> not
> > included libreoffice in Lubuntu?
>
> We struggle every cycle to keep at least some image of Lubuntu CD
> sized. Why? Because lots of old computers can't boot from USB or don't
> have USB, don't have DVD, and CD is the only option. Not to mention a
> lot of old machines have very small hard drives. That being said, to
> do anything that's not lightweight in terms of size is inconsistent
> with the goal of Lubuntu.

I, for one, appreciate the ability to install lubuntu from a CD-R. However,
I can see the point of people wanting to have LibreOffice and other things.

Also, one thing I find difficult is knowing what software packages are
available. I've only just discovered games-finest after spending time
trawling through Synaptic Package Manager looking for useful meta-packages.

One way to deal with both problems would be to provide meta-packages. So
you could install lubuntu from CD-R and then, if required, install
meta-package(s) to add desired functionality

-- Free Software page - currently down