Re: alternative for users who can only install from CD

Hi Mélodie,

*Server*

The Ubuntu server iso file is also part of the 14.04.2 LTS release. I
hope and think that it will work well, but it is outside my scope to
test it, because I have no experience of running servers - I wouldn't
know what are the critical things to test.

The mini.iso is also a good way to install servers as well as the Ubuntu
desktop flavours.

*UEFI*

The only limitation (except bugs), that I know of, is that is does not
work in UEFI mode.

*Lubuntu installation*

Installing the most basic system from the mini.iso should be
straight-forward.

Booting into it and running

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

brings the system into a normal Lubuntu system (after rebooting).

*Custom installation*

If you start selecting what packages you want to install, you can get a
custom installation, that is perfect for you, but you could also get a
borked system, if you don't know what you are doing. That's OK, and a
good way to learn, if you are willing to do some trial and error ;-)

*Only suggesting an alternative*

I don't say that it is ideal to use mini.iso, but it is an alternative
for people who can only boot from CD, when the desktop iso is oversized
and the alternate iso is borked (like it is now for 14.04.2 LTS).

*Overburn*

In some cases it might work with overburn - I know that you have
suggested that. I have not used it myself, and I am not sure how easy it
is, and what limits there might be for the overburn method. I would be
happy if you can explain it and maybe refer to a web page, where it is
described.