Lubuntu future tasks - alternatives to the alternate installer

Hi Walter, Lars and everybody else,
[See inline and at the end]

Den 2015-02-21 01:28, Walter Lapchynski skrev:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> *Congratulations*
>> 1 - to all Power PC users :-)
>
> Amen. Without you guys working on testing, we would not have a PPC
> release. I doubt there is any other team out there where the majority
> of users are also testers. :)
>
>> 2 - to our team leader (Walter) that managed to get a working iso file
>> for PPC.
>
> Well, I pushed hard for it, but it was ultimately Adam Conrad
> (infinity) on the Release Team who did the hard work.
>
> Don't forget all the testers who made this release a reality, not to
> mention the bug triagers and developers that worked to fix bugs!

That's right, many people have contributed to make this release a
reality :-)

>> *Future tasks*
>> If we start now, we should be able to get working alternate iso files
>> for the next point release.
>
> I've already got Adam on it. This should not affect dailies, but will
> affect the next point release.
>
>> I think we also need to keep the mini.iso working for the really old
>> computers, that are likely to be used with Lubuntu.
>
> There's no plans for the Release Team to drop this. Unfortunately, I
> don't find it wise to use it in lieu of alternates. Hopefully we can
> get a lightweight ubiquity.

If ubiquity can be made lighter, it is very good :-)

But don't forget that there are already light-weight alternatives, which
are even lighter than the alternate installer.

1. The mini.iso (netboot)

Why don't you find it wise to use mini.iso? Do you think it is too
difficult for new users? (I find it quite similar to the alternate
installer, one or two more steps to get Lubuntu installed, but not
really more difficult. What is more difficult is finding current and
working versions of the mini.iso, but it can be improved via our Lubuntu
wiki pages). Or don't you like that it needs a working internet connection?

2. The One Button Installer (OBI)

The OBI uses tarballs made from already installed portable systems. This
will be one of the main installing alternatives of ToriOS, and I can
help making it useful for Lubuntu, if you want it. The OBI can be
combined with the 9w installer to run from a CD drive, and this can
install systems without any internet connection. But it must be a small
system, like Lubuntu Core, to fit on a CD with 9w, so the user needs the
internet to add application programs. Full Lubuntu systems can be
installed with bigger tarballs from USB or DVD drives.

See this link and links from it

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/AdvancedMethods