Re: Lubuntu future tasks - alternatives to the alternate installer

Hi Walter,
[inline]

Den 2015-02-21 22:21, Walter Lapchynski skrev:
> Nio said:
>> Why don't you find it wise to use mini.iso? Do you think it is too
>> difficult for new users?
>
> Yes, and it requires Internet.
>
>> What is more difficult is finding current and
>> working versions of the mini.iso
>
> Yes, and that's a problem, too. It needs to be as easy and have the
> same requirements as the alternate installer.

OK, I see your points about the mini.iso and I won't argue about them ;-)

>> 2. The One Button Installer (OBI)
>> the user needs the
>> internet to add application programs. Full Lubuntu systems can be
>> installed with bigger tarballs from USB or DVD drives.

If it is *necessary* to squeeze a full Lubuntu into a CD, not enough
with Lubuntu Core or a lighter Lubuntu (size between Core and the
current standard flavour), I don't think it is possible with OBI-9w or
something equivalent.

> This goes against the goals I have in mind. It's also not very easy,
> which is why it's listed under:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/AdvancedMethods

I put the info about the OBI into that page, not because it is a
difficult method, just because it is a non-standard method. Have you
tried using the OBI, or do you only think, that it is difficult?

Honestly, for a user who has never tried the desktop installer or the
alternate installer, I think the OBI is at least as easy. The intention
is that it should be even easier to use. But for some people who expect
things to be like the desktop installer or the alternate installer, it
might seem strange and difficult.

It is about the perspective. Some people at the Ubuntu Forums are
frustrated, that Ubuntu is not installed like application programs in
Windows (typically with a self-expanding exe-file inside Windows). Such
people loved wubi, and are not willing to make a real installation of
Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu ...).

Anyway, try ToriOS and use its OBI installer! I think a very debugged
and polished beta version will be released soon :-)

> Here's more info about the idea I have:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/lubuntu-brainstorming/+spec/one-iso-to-rule-them-all1

I cannot open the blueprints page: 'page not found' or 'you are not
allowed to read it'

-o-

Finally, don't get me wrong. I will be very happy with a lighter
ubiquity (that needs less RAM). If you and some other people have the
time and energy to make it, I will be a happy tester and later on a
happy user :-)