Re: Target audience

On Mar 5, 2015 11:36 AM, "Nio Wiklund" <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Den 2015-03-05 16:57, Istimsak Abdulbasir skrev:
> > This may seem like an odd question but a question that will better help
> > me in my efforts as a tester.
> >
> > Who is the target audience? What type of users are we trying to attract?
> > With this answer I can find a more effective way of performing testcases
> > and writing them. Plus, I can focus on images and packages that meets
> > that goal and what to report back to the developers.
> >
> > Istimsak Abdulbasir
> >

> This is an interesting and important question. Maybe we tend to skip it
> and simply assume something, that might be wrong.
>
> I think it is important to make linux in general, and for us the Ubuntu
> family of programs, easy enough to use for average users, who are not
> particularly interested in the engine under the hood.

You are saying, users who are not looking play under the hood, but to have
a system that requires little technical knowledge to operate?

There are other system that claim to accomplish the same thing. What care
about Ubuntu?
> I would not draw a sharp line between GUI tools and CLI tools. Both can
> be easy or difficult to use, but I know that many people who arrive from
> Windows and MacOS *think* that CLI tools are 'rocket science' ;-)
>
> For many average users, only a few application programs are necessary
> plus an easy way to maintain the system (update/upgrade and backup) and
> a tool to install new programs.
>

> The main application program is the web browser.

Any linux system has this.

> But more advanced users are often good at making us tune the system for
> what they need. Maybe we are like them, so we tend to listen to them too
> much.

If so, Ubuntu is wearing two masks. The average user and the advanced user.
But we have to get more specific. Users advanced at what and what is an
average user?

> Best regards
> Nio

Based in what you said, Ubuntu should be designed for non-tech savvy
computer users who wants to use a Linux system that allows them operate and
manage there systems with little use of the command and little to no
knowledge of what goes on under the hood.

However, if the user desides to become advanced, then Ubuntu will give them
a clear understandable path through the system where they will enjoy
learning how the system works from the ground up.

Does this sound about right?