Re: Desktop i386 beta 2 workaround for not starting

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 08:19:34 +0100
Henk Terhell <hterhell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Brendan Perrine schreef op 26-3-2015 om 21:06:
> > Sorry for an urgent workaround at the last minute but can you boot the the desktop
> > i386 installer for beta2 with the nocompcache to see if this gets the isntaller to
> > work to test this workaround. I reproduced the grpahics not starting and then then I
> > got it to install with adding nocompcache the old name for zram.
> >

> I tried with adding nocompcache in the boot option line of desktop i386
> but this had no effect. In nomodeset attached screen dump is shown after
> which CD drive stops spinning.

Hi,

If this is only a matter of testing the installer, once you are on the desktop you can
stop zram.

In the console, "sudo service zram-config stop", then check the swaps:

$ cat /proc/swaps

$ sudo swapoff /dev/zram0

or both /dev/zram0 and /dev/zram1 if you have several (depending on how many processors
seen).

Then you can retry the installer and see if it helps (it works) or if it is unrelated (it
still doesn't work).

Keep checking the /var/crash directory for files.

Best regards,
Mélodie