Re: Fwd: [Lubuntu-admins] 15.04 - Installation Experience

Den 2015-05-05 17:00, Israel skrev:
> On 05/05/2015 08:28 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Den 2015-05-03 01:35, Nio Wiklund skrev:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> One step further with the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator:
>>
>> I finally found that bug 1325801
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1325801
>>
>> is fixed now with some tweaks by Yu Ning. But there is another bug, that
>> stopped me, when I tested it. I was trying to flash Lubuntu 15.04
>> desktop 32-bit into a pendrive from an installed Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
>> 64-bit system.
>>
>> After some testing Yu Ning told me "I guess you are burning the i386 ISO
>> on an amd64 host machine? This was a blind spot in previous patch for
>> vivid, it assumes host arch == target arch."
>>
>> In other words, you can only create pendrives with 64-bit systems from a
>> 64-bit system or pendrives with 32-bit systems from a 32-bit system.
>>
>> I am able to create a Lubuntu 15.04 desktop 64-bit pendrive from that
>> Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS 64-bit system. Persistence works.
>>
>> Maybe someone wants to try to create a Lubuntu 15.04 desktop 32-bit
>> pendrive from a Lubuntu 14.04.2 LTS 32-bit system. In that case, please
>> apply Yu Ning's tweaks that you find in comment # 124.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
> Hi Nio,
> That is very unfortunate.  I think this assumption (host arch == target
> arch) is a very big bug.  It makes sense why it was so hard to track
> down why it would sometimes work and sometimes not work.
>
> If I have a 64bit machine and my friend has 32bit, they have to do
> everything themselves, I cannot make the USB to take to their house, or
> if I want to make a 32bit persistent USB (since 32bit works almost
> everywhere on older non-EFI computers) I must be running 32bit, even if
> I have 64bit. :(
>
> At least we have *mkusb*, which is all I really use anyway.  It is much
> faster (on the order of magnitudes) and is not prone to errors, or these
> kinds of strange bugs.
>
> --
> Regards

Hi Israel,

The Startup Disk Creator seems to consist of bugs rather than good
program lines. Most other pieces of Ubuntu's software work very well,
and bugs are fixed when found, but the Startup Disk Creator is a sad story.

I agree that the assumption (host arch == target arch) is a very big
bug. But at least we know about it now. It can certainly affect many
Lubuntu users who have both older and newer hardware and are likely to
use 32-bit as well as 64-bit operating systems.