Re: Dell Optiplex GX60 - system freezing during Software Updater run

Hi All,

On 3 August 2015 at 21:37, Fritz Hudnut <este.el.paz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Have you tried running update/upgrade via the Terminal?  Historically that
> has been the recommend.

Software Updater has been robust enough so far.

I devised a test where I could crash lubuntu. Go into Main menu ->
Preferences -> Power Manager. Select the "Display" tab and set "Blank
after, Put to sleep after, Switch off after" settings to:-
Blank after 5 minutes
Put to sleep after 7 minutes
Switch off after 10 minutes
Start Abiword, Type some text in the window. Wait up to 15 minutes. Now try
using Abiword again. "Boom!"

To avoid crashes, all you need to do is to go into Main menu -> Preferences
-> Power Manager. Select the "Display" tab and set "Blank after, Put to
sleep after, Switch off after" settings to "Never". And then I start
Abiword, just to have something displaying text on screen. System now works
OK (been running just over half an hour with no crash so far - usually
would have crashed by now).

I've looked over this message a couple of times to check that I've made no
mistakes. I'm having one of those days where I'm not too sure if I'm doing
the right thing.

Also... I've tried other tests to reproduce this failure. The only
configuration that works is to select the "Display" tab and set "Blank
after, Put to sleep after, Switch off after" settings to "Never".

The graphics hardware is described as "Intel 82845G/GL". Has anyone else
got similar hardware.

HTH,

Ian

-- Free Software page -