Re: Node state and pserv

On Friday 27 April 2012 11:39:50 Jeroen Vermeulen wrote:
> That would be ideal for me as well, but isn't pserv also responsible for
> ongoing DHCP and DNS?  I take it that those need to be aware of hostname
> changes and at least changes in a host's primary MAC.

I don't know yet, we need to decide exactly how much of that MAAS is going to
be doing.  NIH is bad :)

Until I get a better grip on this, let's assume that we need another call-out
to set DHCP/DNS, how/where ever it's done.

> 1. Any kind of slow setup (commissioning or deployment, I suppose) that
> takes a while and must be done asynchronously.  While that's going on,
> below the granularity of maasserver control, I assume that pserv will
> need to maintain some state about the node.

No, that's still bad IMO.  State should be in the database where it can
persist (what happens if a pserv goes down and takes state with it?), and then
any one of the pservs that are running can handle a response from a node when
it completes a long-running operation (think about load balancing).

> 2. DHCP and DNS.  If we serve these from inside pserv somewhere, those
> services will need to know about them.  But we can edit some related
> properties from the MAAS UI: hostname and MAC addresses.

I think we're going to need another daemon to handle these, separate from
pserv, if we decide to handle these in MAAS.

> I don't think we've made conscious decisions yet about how and when
> those changes would need to affect pserv at all.

Indeed, we have not.  That's about to change though, as I'm going to compile a
list of what cobbler is doing that we are currently using.