Re: MAAS managed DNS

Le 19/07/2012 08:41, Robert Collins a écrit :
[...]
To expand on this, there are two cases where we have to deal with a
partial octet:
  * External user splits: the user already has the same network range
they are giving to MAAS in use and MAAS is being given a slice of
that.
  * Within-MAAS splits: the user is carving out some of the ip range
MAAS has to be a node group with its own dedicated image server/TFTP
etc.

A less drastic approach than forcing a user to give MAAS classful networks would be to "avoid the collisions". I mean calculate, each time a new network is added to MAAS (i.e. when a new nodegroup is added) if this new network will conflict with any of the existing networks and if it's the case, have MAAS refuse it.

We do have to bear in mind that people simply playing with MAAS (the seed
cloud story) may not have control of a DHCP server on their network.

Totally! There is AIUI an option that says 'run DHCP or use existing',
and if use existing is set we just don't do anything about DHCP
settings. If we manage it, we can assign to the right pool on
enrollment.

On could argue that people simply playing with MAAS will only have one nodegroup (the default nodegroup created when MAAS is installed) and thus MAAS will have only one network to manage. If we use the solution I describe above, then there is no risk of collision in that case. For real deployments, advising the user to allocate classful (private) networks seems reasonable to me.

R.