Re: Strategy regarding DNS and static DHCP leases

On 2012-07-19 19:38, Gavin Panella wrote:

Note that a node will be without a hostname until an IP has been allocated
for that node.  We will need a way to display (in the UI) a name for that
node even before a proper hostname is set.  I suggest we revisit our
decision not to display the (auto-generated) node's system_id and use that
in the UI until a hostname is set.

If we're auto-generating the hostname, and it's read-only, does this
matter? On reflection, isn't MAAS meant to be uninterested in the
preciousness of a single machine? We /could/ forego DNS altogether...

Actually I said the same thing, but Julian tells me there's tons of things that really do need hostnames. Masochism, I suppose: “yes I have the IP address I need, but I owe the dominatrix a DNS lookup.” :)

As for whether having a name matters: I think the only time when we may need to display a machine without having an IP address (and thus, hostname) for it would be enlistment. Simply because the leases update may not have arrived yet. AFAIC we could show a blank there, or “<address not yet known>,” and worry later about refreshing the display.

Maybe what we want is a way for an external user to refer to their own
allocated nodes that, when they deallocate their node, no longer
works. In other words, if someone else allocates that node, the first
user doesn't have a reference to it (in the form of a hostname). A
scheme like ${system-id}.${username}.${maas-domain} might be one way
to achieve this.

Juju already invented that wheel, didn't it?

And, as Raphael has already said, none of this actually solves the
problem that started this conversation, classful/classless networks :)

Would it be possible to treat all of the MAAS as a single zone with a mandatory “class boundary” netmask? And if so, would it be helpful?

Yes, that means a potential million hostnames in one zone. Is that bad? No idea. But maybe it's not so much worse than a thousand zones of a thousand hostnames each. And we certainly won't be rewriting it all the time: even if you change an IP range, chances are you're just shifting internal address boundaries within the MAAS — no rewrite needed.

Jeroen