Re: system update in commissioning or enlistment

On 7 August 2012 19:32, Scott Moser <smoser@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    The key here is that, we have to update the node's information from the
> commissioning environment.  Currently, we cannot do that.  All we have in
> the commissioning environment is metadata credentials (to get user-data
> and meta-data for the node).  Those are not capable of making changes to
> the node, or even listing information for *that* node.

These credentials probably ought to be for one-time use only, if
they're not already.

Passing these credentials in the open but allowing them to be used
multiple times is little better than not using credentials. However,
allowing only a single use would mean we can detect if someone else
tries to use them, preventing the second and subsequent uses, and
undoing changes from the first (or at least alerting someone to the
problem).

>    If there is a real need for 'b' above (and Andres thinks there is),
> then we need to update the node from the node itself.  So the
> commissioning environment would need access to credentials that can
> perform an update to the system.  There is good reason that these cannot
> do that right now, as they're the same credentials that a user using the
> system would have access to.
>
>    I see then 2 solutions to my problem (quite possibly there are others)
> 1.) existing commissioning credentials could update the system for their
> own system, but only durring commissioning.
> 2.) a different set of credentials that can make updates needs to be made
> available to the commissioning environment.
>
>    '1' seems reasonable to me.  But maybe I've failed to convince you.
>    Thoughts?

If we're using one-time credentials, then we'll have to do 2.