Re: Registration of workers (aka Cluster Controllers)

[…]
1. Worker uses Avahi to discover the MAAS and enlists itself in much the same
way as a node does.  We'd then wait for the admin to fill in the blank details
and accept the worker.

2. Have an "Add Worker" form on the MAAS admin pages where the admin just does
everything.

Once a worker is fully defined we already have a way for it to receive an API
key from MAAS, it just needs to be pushed down at the right point.

Like you said, having only one place to set things up has a lot of appeal. But unless I'm missing something we still have two levels of authentication here: a) there is the API authentication which can be easily pushed down to the worker once it's registered (i.e. once the corresponding nodegroup with all the required data has been created) b) there is also the broker information (host, port, username, password, vhost) that the worker needs to connect to rabbitmq.

a) can be entered in the web UI but b) needs to be set up on the worker side when the worker package is installed.

R.