Re: DHCP packaging

On Friday 21 September 2012 10:04:35 Raphaël Badin wrote:
> > Right.
> >
> > One thing that's really bothering me is our special-cased "master" DHCP
> > which only exists to deal with the previous case of everything being
> > installed a-la Cobbler on a single machine.  This causes some friction at
> > installation time because at the moment maas-dhcp will call "maas
> > config_master_dhcp" which we don't want to happen for clusters.
>
> I think having this command run at install time was just a convenience
> to configure the DHCP.  IIRC it was created mostly to mimic what cobbler
> does.

Correct.

> > I am thinking that we change this around a little when we start the
> > upstream work on task routing so that we have a celery worker for
> > maas-dns and a separate one for maas-dhcp.
>
> I don't really why having two different workers will help here.  The
> master worker (in charge of DNS) will simply receive all the tasks that
> have to deal with DNS.  Can you expand on why having two workers will help?

Partly so that DNS can live on another machine and partly so that we can make
a generic cluster controller package that is installable anywhere, even on the
region controller's box.

At the moment it's a bit harder because we have to do a special thing for the
"master" DHCP (config_master_dhcp).

> > This would remove the concept of a "master" DHCP entirely and let us have
> > totally generic cluster-controller that you can install on the master or
> > anywhere else.  This would obviate the need for the maas-dhcp package and
> > require the user to set up DHCP details in the UI or API.
>
> That sounds reasonable to me, and doable by simply skipping the call to
> "maas config_master_dhcp" but again, I don't see why having different
> workers will help.
>
> > maas
> >
> >   Depends: python-django-maas, maas-region-controller
> >   Recommends: maas-dns
> >   Suggests: maas-cluster-controller
> >
> > python-django-maas
> >
> >   Installs: src/maasserver, src/metadataserver
> >
> > python-maas-provisioningserver
> >
> >   Installs: src/provisioningserver
> >
> > maas-region-controller
> >
> >   Depends: python-django-maas, python-maas-provisioningserver
> >   Installs: maas-txlongpoll upstart job, installs DB, apache2, etc.
> >
> > maas-cluster-controller
> >
> >   Depends: python-maas-provisioningserver, isc-dhcp-server
> >   Installs: maas-pserv, maas-celery upstart job (enlistment wrapper)
> >
> > maas-cli
> >
> >   Installs: src/apiclient
>
> Looks good to me but can you elaborate on what maas-dns would contain?

It already exists, take a look :)

Cheers.