Re: File-storage replication; was MAAS testing: maas - 0.1+bzr1002+dfsg-0+1018+87~ppa0~quantal1

On 2012-09-22 17:15, Gavin Panella wrote:
On 21 September 2012 06:30, Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Django gets in the way.  I forget the details but basically, we found no
quick way to make use of bytea fields in django.  Right now we base64 into
text fields.  :(

Are we? As far as I can tell we're using Django's FileSystemStorage
(see maasserver.models.filestorage) to save files to disk, not into
the database; we store only the filename in the database. For small
files I think base64 into text fields in the database will be fine for
now, and a step up from using local disk directly.

We do both, in different places. But when it comes to storing binary data in the database itself, as you were describing, we base64 into text fields because we couldn't get bytea to work.

Jeroen