Wake-on-Lan working or not in Raring

Hi there,

I am trying to set up a little test cluster of MAAS with a 6 physical machines I had lying around. Unfortunately, these machines don't support IPMI, only WOL.

Currently, I do not grok what the state of WOL support is in MAAS.

I tried the version on the Quantal install media. Result:
- All steps via commisioning to allocating would work, as long as I
  turned on the machines by hand for each step.

- On the resulting Precise or Quantal install, WOL was not set up,
  ethtool was not installed, nodes unsueable for JuJu.

I then tried the version that is packaged with the Raring-beta. Result:

- Machines won't even commision, as the attempt to load the IPMI driver
  kernel module will stop the machine. But as commisioning (or is it
  enlisting?) has started, the nodes are reported as commisioning and
  on the next restart, listed as ready. Machines remain in unuseable
  state.

- I set the power type to WOL prior to starting the commission,
  attempted both of setting the MAC and not setting it. But I can find
  no indication that setting is respected in any way.

Then I found this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1005802
which talks about a ether_wake template, which I cannot find any more (yes, the bug one year old)

And I also found this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1005802
that states only IPMI will be supported in the future. Is this right? And why are still other power methods on the GUI if true?

any help or pointers on debugging the power states are greatly appreciated. I will now try to understand /usr/share/maas/preseeds/enlist_userdata in order to see if I can hack WOL

mfg lutz
--
Lutz Behnke
Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg,

phone: +49 40 42875-8156    mailto:lutz.behnke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
fax  : +49 40 2803770       http://users.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~sage
Berliner Tor 7, 20099 Hamburg, Germany