Re: BMC detection

On 08/11/13 20:49, Gavin Panella wrote:
> On 8 November 2013 00:34, Julian Edwards <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I found another way and it's simpler, but does have a drawback:
>>
>> ubuntu@maas:~$ rmcp_ping
>> 10-0-0-102.master IPMI
>> 10-0-0-101.master IPMI
>>
>> It's printing hostnames instead of IPs, which is rather annoying.
>>
>> rcmp_ping is from the openipmi package and does broadcast pings by
>> default.  It's a shame ipmiping doesn't do that, and seemingly can't be
>> made to do it either:
>>
>> ubuntu@maas:~$ sudo ipmiping 255.255.255.255
>> ipmiping 255.255.255.255 (255.255.255.255)
>> ipmiping: ipmi_sendto: Permission denied
>>

> There's some prior work on this which I stumbled upon last night,
> using ipmidetectd:
>
> https://docs.google.com/a/canonical.com/document/d/1yn5Z30oFClVMJ8BFy9ZNoj2wXo371r1LzRGc8u9c_6o/edit
> (Sorry to external readers, it's Canonical-only. It's a description of
> using ipmidetectd in an internal lab, mixed in with some mildly
> confidential bits.)
>
> Have you used this before? I remember trying this out at home with the
> HP MicroServers and getting nothing, but that might have been PEBKAC.

Ah I remember your document now.  The idea of having a detection daemon
running all the time is quite appealing; we could have a periodic celery
job that polls it and reconcile output with our current set of known
BMCs (like we do for DHCP leases).

Sadly I can't (yet, at least) see a way to reconcile discovered BMCs
with nodes' MACs.