Re: BMC detection

On 11/11/13 10:52, Julian Edwards wrote:
>> Have you used this before? I remember trying this out at home with the
>> HP MicroServers and getting nothing, but that might have been PEBKAC.
>>

> Ah I remember your document now.  The idea of having a detection daemon
> running all the time is quite appealing; we could have a periodic celery
> job that polls it and reconcile output with our current set of known
> BMCs (like we do for DHCP leases).

Ok so it works fine for me with the HP microservers.

ubuntu@maas:~$ ipmidetect -d -s
10.0.0.101 10.0.0.102

> Sadly I can't (yet, at least) see a way to reconcile discovered BMCs
> with nodes' MACs.

We need to talk about this - unless we can match BMCs to hardware before
we enlist nodes, it makes this detection less useful than it could be.

The closest thing I can see is the "fru" command which lists "Field
Replaceable Units" but on the microservers you don't get a lot of info:

ipmitool> fru print
FRU Device Description : Builtin FRU Device (ID 0)
 Product Manufacturer  : HP
 Product Name          : MicroServer Remote Card
 Product Serial        : 000000000000000

I'll try in the lab later (I can't get in right now).