Re: Accidental imports of registries into maasserver

On 29/04/14 21:27, Gavin Panella wrote:
> On 29 April 2014 02:06, Julian Edwards <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was just reviewing a branch that was trying to import a
>> provisioningserver registry directly into maasserver.  This is Obviously
>> Bad™ because it should be using RPC to retrieve the items.
>>
>> My question is, can anyone think of an elegant way to prevent this
>> import from happening in the future?
>
> One way would be to create a custom finder/loader for sys.path_hooks
> [1] that checks the stack for maasserver and rejects the import if
> found.
>
> Another would be to land my repackage branch [2] and prevent the
> maas-region package from using maas-cluster. This is a big change
> though, and would have lots of other side-effects.
>

> [1] https://docs.python.org/2.7/library/sys.html#sys.path_hooks
> [2] lp:~allenap/maas/repackage

I am not against big changes if they are beneficial.  Remind me of the
risks/side-effects again?  I expect at least the Ubuntu packaging would
be screwed over.

I think the ideal solution is indeed to prevent the region from seeing
the cluster code at all.

We could do [1] as an interim though, but limit it to registry as much
as possible as I think maasserver imports quite a lot stuff from
provisioningserver :(