Re: Allow API to use <system_id | hostname> for all operations that currently require the system_id

On Friday 30 May 2014 11:32:53 Jeroen Vermeulen wrote:
> On 2014-05-30 03:10, Julian Edwards wrote:
> > It will be possible to add additional methods to return a node by
> > hostname, with this caveat, but its ID will still be the system_id.
>
> Another thing we could do is introduce special CLI syntax for: I'm
> naming a host here, but by its hostname, so substitute its ID.
>
> That would eliminate the ambiguity.  Implementation could happen on
> either side.

This might be overkill, but we could introduce a new table that has alternate
names in it, such as:

alt_node
  node (FK to node)
  alt_type (string)
  alt_name (string)

This would allow the api and its clients to specify any alternate identifier
for which someone deems appropriate to stick in the database.