Re: Fixing static DHCP

On 29/05/14 20:45, Gavin Panella wrote:
> Fwiw, I favour allocating these addresses to users, and not associating
> with hardware. Admins ought to then have access to an overview of where
> IP addresses are going so they can deal with leaks.

Given this use case, +1.

> There will then be at least three classes of address that MAAS can
> manage:
>
> 1. A statically assigned address for a node's first NIC, associated with
>    its MAC address.
>
>    Any NIC can request an address from DHCP, but only one will get the
>    statically assigned address that every node gets as part of being
>    provisioned.
>
>    This address is assigned when the node is provisioned, and will be
>    reused for use with other hardware when the machine is deprovisioned.
>    -- OR --
>    This address is assigned by an admin and made "sticky". This means
>    that it will always remain associated with the specific hardware,
>    until that hardware is removed from MAAS.
>
>    This is a special-case of #2.

Could you also consider network aliasing? It's not uncommon to create
additional aliased networks. In this case we'd want the MAAS user to be
able to say "when I turn this machine on please setup eth0:2 with IP
x.y.z.q". Both MAAS-assigned and user-assigned IP addresses should be
possible. I think this is a table that hangs off node_nic. Perhaps this
is just a special case of #2 where we know the alias that's desired (as
opposed to cases where we don't).

> 2. Additional statically assigned addresses for a node's other NICs.
>
>    These NICs can be hardware or virtual, e.g. for containers. The
>    difference, as far as MAAS is concerned, is that the latter disappear
>    when the machine is deprovisioned, and the former stay around.

When the machine is deprovisioned, we effectively deprovision any
containers there, so in both cases, deprovisioning the machine removes
the IP. If you meant the "mac" stays around, then yes.

>    Addresses must be requested explicitly via MAAS's API.

Or allocated through the GUI, in the alias case.

Mark