Re: python-django in the next LTS

On 17 September 2015 at 19:28, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for leading on this Gavin. What's happening upstream? The main
> question for me would be longevity of support and relevant of 1.8.

https://www.djangoproject.com/download/#supported-versions says that 1.8
is an LTS for Django, for which support is promised until at least April
2018. That obviously does not cover the full lifetime of 16.04 but it
gets us to the 2018 Ubuntu LTS. For reference, Trusty has Django 1.6
which is already EOL upstream.

> We will want to SRU newer versions of MAAS, is 1.8 going to be a great
> base for a good 18 months? If you're comfortable with that, +1

1.8 is the right choice for the next LTS.

We've based MAAS on Django 1.6 on Trusty through to Wily and it has
worked fine, though we have needed a distinct python-django16 package
since Vivid. We can take a similar approach with Django 1.8 in the next
LTS, with the advantage that 1.8 will be supported upstream until the
2018 Ubuntu LTS.

Gavin.