Re: maas w/ virtual machines

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:27 PM, John A Meinel <john.meinel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Its a little clumsy to start a node, then click through to get to set the
> "power settings" to VIRSH and copy the same virsh string and set the new
> name of the machine. It feels like something where MAAS could be aware of a
> VIRSH system, rather than treating each machine that is started
> independently.

Which version of MAAS are you using?

You can use the "Add Hardware > Chassis" command (in 1.8+) to add a virsh
system to MAAS. It will automatically discover and add to MAAS all the VMs
it can see (and set the boot order properly as well - in addition to using
the hostnames defined on the hypervisor).

But you're correct that it woudl be better if MAAS was "more aware"; that
is, if MAAS remembered that there was a virsh system, and could later check
for new machines. (This is something we'd like to take on in the future.)

I agree about the ease (or lack thereof) of setting up SSH access for
virsh. In MAAS 1.9, you'll notice that we prompt the user with
notifications indicating what they should install, if we can detect that
dependencies are unmet.

Regards,
Mike