Re: Allow names instead of IDs ?

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 11:19 PM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 04/11/15 20:57, Mike Pontillo wrote:
> >    I think, in general, this is a much more user-friendly mechanism for
> > locating objects. For example, when I want to query for interfaces, I
> might
> > want to say something like "name:eth0,node:tasty-biscuits". I don't want
> > first look up the node "tasty-biscuits" and then go through the list of
> > returned interfaces to find the one I want. So I think supporting
> > specifier-based queries as a general mechanism for looking up objects
> would
> > be an even better solution.
>
> That's great, but if needed let's get the simple piece in for 1.9 rather
> than wait for everything in 2.0.

Agreed; there's no need to go crazy for the end of 1.9. We need to get this
done.

That said, I looked into doing it this way yesterday[1], and concluded that
it's low-hanging fruit. It's trivial enough that if I don't implement it
this way, it will double the effort if we decide to change it later. (And
any issues I encountered on the initial pass would have been hit doing it
the "simple" way anyway.)

Regards,
Mike

[1]: https://code.launchpad.net/~mpontillo/maas/bug-1510917/+merge/276723