mactel-support team mailing list archive

Re: configure modules automatically

On Mar 2, 2009, at 7:46 AM, Mario Schwalbe wrote:

Hi all,

in the forum we often tell the users to add several options to /etc/ modprobe.d/* and modules to /etc/modules. what about doing this setup automatically? i recently wrote a script to do so. what do you think about installing this script
by a package and calling it in the package's post-install script?

Really, it would be best if the changes were made to Ubuntu so that these were added without user intervention. This appears to have happened with the applesmc module... The script is fine, but we need to make sure there are bug reports about them to try and get it corrected in the future.

...snip...

by the way: since it is quite confusing to install the necessary packages from the PPA - not all machines need all packages on all releases - what about adding meta-packages, e.g., mactel-support-macbookpro4 that installs the other packages through its dependency?

We used to have some metapackages like that in there. I would post the script in the forum for people to test and get some feedback of course.

Also, we need to see what we can update in the PPA for Jaunty (or what even needs to be updated). For instance, the hid-dkms package which makes the expose keys work, really just needs a couple of line edits to make it compatible with jaunty (I think).