mactel-support team mailing list archive

Re: configure modules automatically

Greetings Mario,

> in the forum we often tell the users to add several options to /etc/modprobe.d/*
> and modules to /etc/modules. what about doing this setup automatically?
> i recently wrote a script to do so. what do you think about installing this script
> by a package and calling it in the package's post-install script?

Nice idea, although here are some comments:

1) A package should be undoable... uninstall functionality?

2) Regarding modules, work has been done in the later kernels to
autoload modules based on dmi data. It might be possible to actually
patch the whitelist of those modules; see applesmc.c for an example.

Cheers,
Henrik