mactel-support team mailing list archive

Re: Debian and Ubuntu Mactel teams + hybrid graphics

Hi, sorry for late reply. I noted that many instructions found on the net
fail to suggest use of GPT partition for USB boot on Mac. The USB creator
in Ubuntu typically repartition USB drives to MBR which does not work on
all (most?) Macs when booting in EFI mode. However, if a USB disk is
correctly formatted to FAT16 on a GPT partitioned USB disk, USB disc
creator in Ubuntu will install without erasing the drive and thus keep the
GPT. The above concern EFI booting only.

Another thing that is confusing for Ubuntu users is the "+mac" images,
which for the latest few releases is a worse choice than the standard
images (+mac have EFI boot removed and relies on BIOS emulation). I read
quite a few threads of users who get stuck with BIOS emulation issues when
using the "+amd" images. I think Debian is better of in that sense(?).

Finally, I think many issues arise from the dual GPU's on Pro's. I need
some "outb xxx yyy" in /etc/grub.d/00_xxx to enable the right GPU on my Pro
5,2. I found no other working solution to select the 9400 GPU.

Mac is quite tricky overall to use with Linux, I think mostly due to the
small user base and the resulting lack of resources. I mostly use VM's for
Linux on Mac, but some things won't work so I'm still booting booting Linux
occasionally :-)

Hope this is valuable information.