Re: bzr commit into MariaDB 5.1, with Maria 1.5:maria branch (monty:2680)

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Michael Widenius <monty@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!

> Sergei> Hi, Michael!
>>>
> Sergei> Hi, Michael!

> Sergei> Are you aware of the current scalability problems with the pool of
> Sergei> threads in 6.0 ? What are you going to do about it ?
>>>
>>> No, haven't followed this discussion. Will look for it.
>
> Sergei> Just found something relevant: http://bugs.mysql.com/42288
>
> Thanks; Read this with a great deal of interest and was looking at the
> code involving LOCK_event_loop mutex to understand the problem.
>
> It's totally understandable why this happens; All waiting is now done
> on this mutex, as only one thread can be inside the event_loop() at
> the same time.
>
> The original code for Solaris didn't have any mutex that was hold for
> more than a couple of instructions, which should make it notable faster.
>
> Need to study the event_loop() code to know how tread safe this part
> of the code is.

The fix for our backport to 5.0.37 is likely to use epoll and be Linux
only, removing our dependency on many lines of libevent code. The
performance fix for us is to shard the mutex into a few mutexes and
statically assign file descriptors to one of the mutexes and all that
it protects. We are still debating whether migration of file
descriptors between mutexes is needed. From a reading of the memcached
code, they don't migrate.

So, replacing the one big mutex with several smaller mutexes might
work. libevent still has a bit more overhead on Linux as it does not
support EPOLLONESHOT so that extra work, a system call, is needed to
remove the file descriptor from the set of listening file descriptors
when data is ready for it and the mutex is held when this is done.

Also, after each command is run the code path to return the file
descriptor back to the set of listening descriptors is a bit complex
and expensive.