Re: compile issue and the -lz flag

Hm, so I looked into this a bit further, and it seems not so easy to fix...

The problem is that -all-static is really a libtool special option, but
configure checks do not use libtool. So configure cannot easily in a generic
may make libtool options set by the user affect its decision.

In fact, I think passing -all-static to libtool via --with-mysqld-ldflags in
the way the MySQL source does is heavy abuse of libtool (also according to
automake/libtool docs). But that is another matter...

My conclusion is that this should not be fixed in ./configure. If someone
decides to pass in -all-static, they should have the responsibility to add any
extra options needed to make linking -all-static actually work. In this case
--with-zlib-dir=bundled.

(Another issue is that your CentOS/Fedora should maybe provide both libz.so
and libz.a, don't understand why it does not? But that is another
discussion).

So the fix I suggest is to simply add --with-zlib-dir=bundled in
BUILD/compile-pentium64-max (I already committed this change for review).

Or even better, avoid using -all-static, which really creates more problems
than it solves (but that also is another discussion).

Thanks again,

 - Kristian.