Re: Bzr merge order

Following up on this, I just learned about the bzr option
append_revisions_only that can be set on a branch.

This option can be used to enforce that the main history (sequence of
primary/left-hand parents from the tip) correctly reflects the series of
pushes into the public tree.

So assume this sequence of events:

1. Joe branches lp:maria (revision 1000), and starts hacking on a patch.
2. Other developers push revisions 1001, 1002, and 1003 to lp:maria.
3. Joe finishes the patch, the review is good. He runs `bzr merge lp:maria`,
   followed by `bzr push lp:maria`.

As it is now, the resulting history of lp:maria will look like this:

1002 Joe (merge)
  1000.1.3 | Other
  1000.1.2 | developer's
  1000.1.1 | commits
1001 Joe's patch
1000 Starting point

So it is not at all clear that the other commits were at some point pushed
individually to lp:maria. And if someone goes to look at revision 1002
thinking to see one of the other developer's commits, it will be missing (or
worse refer to the wrong commit after further pushes).

But if we set the append_revisions_only option on lp:maria, instead of this
Joe will get this error:

bzr: ERROR: Server sent an unexpected error: ('error', 'Operation denied because it would change the main history, which is not permitted by the append_revisions_only setting on branch "lp-139886317008592:///~knielsen/maria/tmp-buildbot-test".')

In this case, Joe will instead have to do this:

    bzr branch lp:maria  # or bzr pull lp:maria into an existing clean clone
    bzr merge ../branch-with-patch
    bzr commit -m"merged with trunk"
    bzr push lp:maria

Then the resulting history will be this:

1004 Joe (merge)
  1000.1.1 Joe patch
1003 | Other
1002 | developer's
1001 | commits
1000 Starting point

Which is much nicer, IMHO.

So basically append_revisions_only enforces the merging style that I, Sanja,
and Monty already proposed as a good practise.

So I propose to add this option to the 5.1, 5.2, and 6.0 trees on
Launchpad. This will provide a clear record of the push history in the
repository, at the cost of enforcing the "good practise" merge style with one
extra bzr step.

Any opinions? Reasons not to do this?

If there is general agreement I will add the option (the process is somewhat
inconvenient, but I tested a procedure using sftp and that works ok).

(Incidentally, this way also makes it possible to correlate the branch history
directly with build history from Buildbot/Pushbuild, something I really missed
in the BitKeeper days).

 - Kristian.