Re: MariaDB versioning

We do not specifically strive to support (the outdated and irrelevant) MySQL
5.2 of course.  But we cannot prevent anyone from connecting to it with
SQLyog. In that case SQLyog (any client) will have to assume that 5.2/6.0
functionalities are available (LOAD DATA XML, server side BACKUP/RESTORE ..
to the extend that MySQL 6.0 features we implemented already - I did not
check details).
.
Basically we do not support *specific* version. We work with any server the
the compiled-in client (libmysql) can communitate with.  If there is no
server error or client error we simply open the program - porvided that we
*can*.  But acutally if there is uncertainity aboyt the meaning of the
version string returned by by the server we may not even be able to paint
the GUI (examples: 1) if we cannot identify clearly if version <5.1.0 we
will not know if a database object can contain an EVENTS folder 2) what
options should be in various menus depends on what server supports)
.
Also SQLyog is capable of connecting to an unlimited number of (different)
servers simultaneously and will be able to copy and sync structure and data
from one to another.  For lots of those functionalities we will need to know
details about server (fo isntance becasue code contains wrokaround for quite
a lot of server bugs).
.
I do not claim that 5.2 mismatch is very important (MySQL 5.2 is dead).  We
will be able to work around ithis timet. I was more concerned about
versioning going wildly different from MySQL in the future. So a very clear
version string is requested so that we can code in 'knowledge about versions
to the extent that SHOW and SELECT FROM I_S does not reveal information). It
could be '5..1.88*MDB*_something ..'
.
btw: (I have critized Drizzle during UC for lack of discipline in
versioning!)