Re: Updated (by Guest): Add a mysqlbinlog option to change the used database (36)

Hi Kristian,

21.09.09, 15:07, "Kristian Nielsen" <knielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Alexi1952  writes:
> > PS. I don't know company rules, so being currently a "pre-member" of Maria (ha! I even don't know how the company is called)
> > I didn't send this reply to "maria-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx". If that's not right, I will do it.
> You are welcome to use maria-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for anything
> related to development of MariaDB. We often have people also outside of Monty
> Program that provide insightful comments on patches or discussions that catch
> their interest. I've Cc:ed the list for now.
> (Are you a member of maria-developers@ ? If not, you should be, apply on
> https://launchpad.net/~maria-developers (or just let me know your Launchpad
> login) and I will approve you.)

Registered. Thanks for approving me.

> > 18.09.09, 17:29, "Kristian Nielsen" :
> >
> >> Hi Alexi,
> >> Thanks for writing up the low-level design. I read it through, and have a
> >> couple of comments:

> >> Sharing code with similar replication options inside mysqld is a noble
> >> goal. However, in this case I think it is a case of "the cure is worse than
> >> the disease".
> >> The Rpl_filter class has _so_ much mysqld server internals that we do not want
> >> to mix into a client application. That is also why you need to do all these
> >> modifications in sql_list, rpl_filter, etc.
> >> So I think it is wrong to use the Rpl_filter class in mysqlbinlog.
> >> To share code between the two, I think the better method is to move out the
> >> needed functionality (add_db_rewrite() and get_rewrite_db()) in a separate
> >> class, and have both the Rpl_filter class and mysqlbinlog use that.
> >> Alternatively, if the shared functionality is really small (as it appears it
> >> might be), just duplicating the functionality may be better.
> >
> > *******************************************************************************
> > Funny: in my first version I wrote my own simple list-class with add() and get()
> > functions (what is really needed here) and was "scarified" by SPetrunia for why
> > didn't I use Rpl_filter. :) His idea was that mysqlbinlog options should be
> Right, sharing the code is best, hence the idea to extract common
> functionality in a separate class.
> In particular, I do not like this method of Rpl_filter:
>   bool tables_ok(const char* db, TABLE_LIST* tables);
> TABLE_LIST is deep deep into server internals, that is why I didn't like
> pulling Rpl_filter as it is now into mysqlbinlog.
> But actually Rpl_filter::tables_ok() seems to be the only problem of this kind
> in Rpl_filter. So probably we just need to move this single method out into a
> separate class (or existing class or static function, didn't check which would
> be most appropriate). That method feels misplaced in that class to me.
> So an Rpl_filter class without tables_ok() I see no problem with including in
> mysqlbinlog.  That would seem to me much cleaner, and should be simple, what
> do you think?

Agree. BTW  tables_ok() is just the only member I had already #ifdef'ed out from Rpl_filter for client context.
As for your suggestion to have a separate class, is it OK to do something like this?

class Binlog_filter
{
  < ... all members from Rpl_filter except for tables_ok()
     ... (will also check carefully for other members) ...>
};

class Rpl_filter: public Binlog_filter
{
  <... tables_ok() ...>
};

BTW in this case declaring

    Binlog_filter* binlog_filter;

will look like more natural than

    Rpl_filter* binlog_filter;

(why indeed *replication filter* in mysqlbinlog which actully *doesn't replicate* :)

> [...]
> >         because of that is "server-dependent". But why not - with the help of
> >         just two-three #ifdef's - to make this classes server-independent?
> >         Why not to allow sql_list to be used outside server context especially
> >         in view of that sql_list essentially (i.e. functionally) is not server
> >         dependent?
> >
> >         Surely, I can foresee at least one reasonable objection: because these
> >         classes strictly belong to the server "internals" and are not supposed
> >         to be used outside. That's OK. But they can be used outside INDIRECTLY.
> >         Thus starting to work on "embedded parser" (currently, my work is only
> >         in embryo :) I came acrross several places where sql_alloc() is used in
> >         the same "not-essentially-server-dependent" manner. So in my opinion,
> >         making lists and similar classes applicable for both MYSQL_SERVER and
> >         MYSQL_CLIENT contexts is quite reasonble in general.
> Yes. This is the other problem to be solved with getting Rpl_filter into
> mysqlbinlog (apart from the tables_ok() problem discussed above).
> And I agree that it _does_ make sense to have String, IList, HASH,
> DYNAMIC_ARRAY, etc. available in client code (and these seem to use sql_alloc,
> right?).
> So it's 'just' a matter of doing this in a good way. Maybe that is better seen
> in a full patch, and maybe we should ask someone (like Monty or maybe Sergei
> Golubchik) who has a better overview of how memory management works in the
> client and server code. But for now, a couple of comments:
> 1. Maybe some of this is already done? I would imagine at least some of the
> primitive data structures would be used in client code.
> 2. One of the crucial points is to control the lifetime of allocations. In the
> server there is extensive use of memroots with different lifetimes. Probably
> a good way would be to support memroots in client applications (don't know
> if/how much is already available).
> 3. I would like to avoid sprinkling #ifdef around the code, it should be
> possible to do in a cleaner way. #ifdef introduce complex dependencies when
> working on code, and there are already too much of that for
> mysqlbinlog. Though if the existing client code already depends on some
> #ifdef-magic we need to use it I guess.
> In particular related to the changes you propose:
> > - In rpl_filter.cc:
> >
> >       Rpl_filter::Rpl_filter() :
> >       {
> >       #ifdef MYSQL_CLIENT
> >         init_alloc_root(&sql_list_client_mem_root, ...);
> >       #endif
> >       }
> >
> >      Rpl_filter::~Rpl_filter()
> >      { ...
> >      #ifdef MYSQL_CLIENT
> >        free_root(&sql_list_client_mem_root, ...);
> >      #endif
> >      }
> This is particular feels wrong, Rpl_filter should not need to maintain a
> global mem_root like sql_list_client_mem_root. What if I want to use two

Oh, yes, I missed this!!! Shame on me (looks like my brains starts growing old :)

> > - In sql_list.cc/h, Sql_alloc::new(size_t) and Sql_alloc::new[](size_t)
> >   uses sql_alloc() which is THD dependent. These are to be modified
> >   as follows:
> >
> >       #ifdef MYSQL_CLIENT
> >         extern MEM_ROOT sql_list_client_mem_root; // defined in sql_list.cc
> >       #endif
> >
> >       class Sql_alloc
> >       { ...
> >         static void *operator new(size_t size) throw ()
> >         {
> >       #ifndef MYSQL_CLIENT
> >           return sql_alloc(size);
> >       #else
> >           return alloc_root(&sql_list_client_mem_root, size);
> >       #endif
> >         }
> >         static void *operator new[](size_t size) throw ()
> >         {
> >       #ifndef MYSQL_CLIENT
> >           return sql_alloc(size);
> >       #else
> >           return alloc_root(&sql_list_client_mem_root, size);
> >       #endif
> >         }
> >       }
> >
> Can't we instead of this just define an alternate implementation of
> sql_alloc() in mysqlbinlog?
> Then mysqlbinlog could initialize a memroot which is used in its version of
> sql_alloc(). And it seems we would not need any of the above #ifdef's?
> In fact if you look at the end of client/mysql.cc it seems to do exactly this.
> (Except it does not use memroot, just malloc(). Not sure what is best in our
> case).
> What do you think?

Yes, surely that will be more elegant!

--