Re: Buildbot scheduling problem: makedist waiting for newtest

Sergey Petrunya <psergey@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> One can now frequently observe buildbot to be in this state:
>
>   hardy-amd64-makedist (idle with 1 pending)
>   hardy-amd64-newtest  (building with 1 pending)
>
> I interpret it as follows: makedist is waiting for newtest to complete. The
> problem with that is that when one is working on a windows problem, he has
> to wait for newtest to complete for every push.

Yes. Both are running on the same machine (in my office). So far, it was
configured to only run one build at a time.

> The only was I see to fix this is to have a dedicated buildslave for makedist
> jobs, i.e. with current settings  hardy should run two buildslaves, one working
> on makedist and the other on newtest.
>
> Is there a better way to address this?

I think Buildbot allows to run multiple builds in parallel on a single slave.

I configured my box to allow two simultaneous builds. We will see if it can
handle the load (on of them runs --big tests, which can make quite a load on a
machine).

(I was planning to try this anyway after putting more memory into the box;
good that you reminded me).