Re: Blog about MariaDB progress

Hi!

>>>>> "Henrik" == Henrik Ingo <henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Henrik> So now would probably be a good time to blog something about our
Henrik> MariaDB release. As agreed, I will blog something about how the
Henrik> release came to be, Monty's will be more announcement like.

Henrik> Is the below somewhat close to what really happened?

<cut>

Henrik> <h2>Just one final merge...</h2>

Henrik> One innocent bullet point on the todo list was to merge in the newest
Henrik> MySQL version, as well as XtraDB and PBXT. This was not a one day
Henrik> job...

Henrik> Somehow we managed to start the merge from MySQL from a more or less
Henrik> random point in the <a
Henrik> href="https://launchpad.net/mysql-server/5.1";>MySQL 5.1 Launchpad
Henrik> tree</a>. This led to a long list of merge failures that needed to be
Henrik> fixed. Quite soon we realized that we were merging something that was
Henrik> between MySQL 5.1.37 and 5.1.38, and the missing changesets to 5.1.38
Henrik> were then added.

Don't think that the merge features was because we used a mid version.
The problem was that we merged a version of MySQL that was in the
middle between 5.1.37 and 5.1.38 and we started to chase bugs that
was already fixed by MySQL (The problem is that the MySQL tree is from
time to time not as bug free as it should be)

Henrik> I'm told the delta between MySQL and MariaDB is already 11kB, a lot of
Henrik> it is in whitespace or comments. A good target for cleanup work in our
Henrik> next release cycle...

Actually, if you count the changes in the storage engines, the delta
is much larger. In addition we have storage engines that doesn't exist
in MySQL.

<cut>

Henrik> All in all we spent at least 4 man weeks just fixing merge issues. But
Henrik> we are learning from our mistakes, and most importantly, <a
Henrik> href="http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB::MergingMySQL";>documented
Henrik> them</a>.

Great that this document was done (didn't know about it).

<cut>

Henrik> Of course Buildbot runs did report all kinds of test-suite errors, so
Henrik> another batch of man weeks was spent fixing various test failures.
Henrik> Many test failures happened on Windows only. To our surprise they also
Henrik> happened in the stock MySQL 5.1.38 (which is GA quality). We were

Which is supposed to be of GA quality ?  :)

Henrik> however able to find patches for most of those, until we were down to

find -> create ?

Otherwise looks ok to me.

Regards,
Monty