Re: Windows installer, part 2

"and additionally to run the program in user session you need elevation."
No. I can start MySQL (installed with a recent MySQL installer like 5.1.39 -
or just a zip/no-install distribution) as a user with the command '<path
to>\basedir\bin\mysqld --defaults-file <path to>my.ini.  But if UAC is ON
and  the cmd.exe session was not started with explicit 'run as
administrator' option the server will write to user's \virtualstore folder
and *NOT *to the 'datadir' defined in server configuration. That is the
problem in my understanding. It results in two different copies of the
database files.
.
Actually I agree with your 'preaching' (at least as an option for live
servers running on a Windows server platform).  But I do not think such
change between MySQL and MariaDB should be implemented in current stage. I
am in favor building a rather simple 'skeleton' doing what is required for
Windows - uninstaller, PCA compability, start menu items, registering
service correctly etc. - (but not all what is required for MySQL/MariaDB in
the first place) that can be detailed.
.
Peter
.