really need call my_thread_init() in libmysqlclient_r?

HI, all:
    There is a bug about mysql-python,
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1464563&group_id=22307&atid=374932.
After review the code of libmysqlclient_r , I find for every  new
thread to create connection, it will call my_thread_init to init some
thread local variable and other things. but the client api seems not
using this thread local variable almost, just for some debug
information.
    Can using macro remove this when the code using by
libmysqlclient_r.so?  If can do that, to fix the bug is easy.

    sorry for my poor engish, and this maybe should post in mysql mail-list!

Thanks!