Re: Ideas for improving MariaDB/MySQL replication

This is a really long thread so a summary elsewhere would be great for
people like me.

I think Alex mentioned that he needs the commit protocol to be changed
so that the binlog/commit-log/commit-service/redundancy-service
guarantees commit and the storage engine does not. If that is the
case, the storage engine can do async commits. As long as it recovers
to some point in time and tells the binlog what the point in time was
(must know XID), then the binlog can give it the transactions it lost
during crash recovery. Here 'binlog' is what guarantees commit and
could be something other than a file on the master. I want something
like this. It means that we don't need to use XA internally which
currently costs 3 fsyncs per commit (2 shared, 1 not). We are changing
MySQL to really do group commit and that will change the cost to 3
shared fsyncs. But what I think you have described here is a huge
improvement.

As a further optimization, I want a callback that is called after the
binlog entries are written for a transaction and before the wait for
group commit on the fsync is done. That callback will be used to
release row locks (optionally) held by the transaction.