Re: Learning Storage Engine API

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:01:19 -0700, Igor K <igor175@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This question is directed to Sergei Golubchik at Monty Program,
> although input from anyone's experience would be valuable.
>
> What is the best approach, in your opinion, to start learning storage
>  engine API? So that one can write a dummy storage engine in no time.

As this question has come up on the Drizzle lists as well. There are
some bits that are rather different between the MySQL/MariaDB API and
Drizzle API.

The table discovery bit is totally different. Check out ARCHIVE for an
example in MySQL/MariaDB (and also for Drizzle a bit, but check out
embedded_innodb in Drizzle for a more complete implementation).

DDL is also different. Again, check embedded_innodb for Drizzle. The
InnoDB example may be useful for MySQL, but I'm not all that
sure... I'd suggest NDB, but that has its own added complexity...

For basic DML, you can check out CSV for probably the most basic yet
functional implementation.

--
Stewart Smith