Re: per-partition attributes in the CREATE TABLE

Hi, Henrik!

On May 11, Henrik Ingo wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Sergei Golubchik <sergii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > we've talked about engine attributes in the CREATE TABLE, and that
> > one should be able to specify them per partition as well.
> >
> > Now, thinking about it, I'm not quite sure what the semantics shuld
> > be.
> >
> Thinking as an end user only, I would vote for a scheme where the
> following holds true:
>
> i) Anything that can be specified table level, could also be specified
> partition level.
> ii) anything that can be defined for all partitions, can be instead
> defined on the table level part.
> iii) For the problem with different engines per partition, and only
> one engine supports XXX=1 I could argue that it is not allowed to
> specify it on table level. If all specified engines support XXX=1,
> then it is allowed to specify it on table level.
>
> Is this helpful?

Yes, thanks. You're basically saying that there should be no attributes
that are valid only on the table or only on the partition level,
everything that can be specified per table should work per partition,
and vice versa.

It is certainly possible and logical.