How MySQL/MariaDB handles aborted DDL

Hi Philip, all

Philip's bug on recovery from a kill -9 during DML reminded me... from my experience, aborting a DDL query (ALTER TABLE - things like adding an index usually) can be tricky and more often than not causes hassles. By abort in this case I mean killing the connection/thread that does the DDL.

It would be great to somehow have a few test cases in the suite and it needs to be tested with all storage engines. Provided the table it operates on is big enough, it should be possible to just zap it by timing.
Thoughts?

Cheers,
Arjen.

Follow ups