Review of replication/group commit work

Hi Monty,

Thanks for offering to review my replication worklogs. Here are pointers to
the various worklogs and patches, and suggestions for order to things in etc.

Some background information is in this series on my blog:

    http://kristiannielsen.livejournal.com/12254.html
    http://kristiannielsen.livejournal.com/12408.html
    http://kristiannielsen.livejournal.com/12553.html
    http://kristiannielsen.livejournal.com/12810.html

There is a tree on launchpad based on 5.2 with all the patches merged, if you
want to look at the actual code in one piece:

    lp:~maria-captains/maria/mariadb-5.2-rpl

----

The main worklog, and the place to start, is MWL#116:

    http://askmonty.org/worklog/Server-Sprint/?tid=116

I think you'll have to read through the worklog/design first (it already had
architecture review by Serg) in order to properly review the code.

The patch for MWL#116 is here:

    https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-developers/msg03693.html

It also has links to a lauchpad tree with just this patch.

This worklog extends the storage engine API with a facility to efficiently
coordinate commit order among transaction participants, and also implements
group commit for binlog.

----

The next worklog is MWL#136:

    http://askmonty.org/worklog/Server-RawIdeaBin/?tid=136

Here is the commit mail:

    https://lists.askmonty.org/pipermail/commits/2010-November/000735.html

(also this one, but it just renames some variables to bettter names):

    https://lists.askmonty.org/pipermail/commits/2010-November/000741.html

This worklog makes START TRANSACTION WITH CONSISTENT SNAPSHOT, well,
consistent. It also uses this for the binlog to provide non-blocking mysqldump
--single-transaction --master-data.

----

The last worklog is MWL#163:

    http://askmonty.org/worklog/Server-Sprint/?tid=163

Here is the commit mail:

    https://lists.askmonty.org/pipermail/commits/2010-November/000711.html

This is a re-write of a Facebook patch. Mark has mentioned this on several
occasions as being important for them to fix a hot-spot. It implements an
option to release InnoDB row locks earlier, before committing to binlog and
storage engine (which is not safe in general, but can be safe in certain
applications such as Facebook presumably).

----

That's it for now!