Re: Windows installer MWL#55 finished.

From: Peter Laursen [mailto:peter_laursen@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Mittwoch, 2. Februar 2011 17:14
To: Vladislav Vaintroub
Cc: maria-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Maria-developers] Windows installer MWL#55 finished.

Hi Peter,

>Your default install path is \program files [(x86)]. You copy the /datadir as a subfolder of /basedirr.
>This will cause problems on Vista+ with  UAC enabled if the server is ever started from commandline as a non-service (also if >the user doing so is an administrator user).

For the user who installed MySQL, it won't  cause problems. After you stop the service you can start

mysqld --defaults-file=path\to\datadir\my.ini  --console

from the non-elevated command line, with/without UAC. No file system virtualization will happen. That bug http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=38373  (user can not from mysqld from command line after installation) was  filed  by  myself  2.5 years ago , I could not leave that unfixed now.

I know, writing to ProgramFiles might not be kosher,  but it works  if ACLs on our tree are set.  (And Microsoft should not tell people that writing to program files is bad, they are doing it  with SQLServer,  and also document it http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143547.aspx , so we are again as good/bad as SQLServer here)

>2) There is no my.ini generated with a fresh install as far as I can see - so the server probably runs (it does!) with very low default buffer settings etc.  Also latin1 charset and MyISAM will be default.  I think a my.ini with settings fit for a 1GB-2GB RAM machine should be generated - and with a few configuration options.  And a my.ini will be required to solve 1) anyway.

There is a my.ini, it is in database directory. It is spartanic, it has port and datadir, nothing else. You can edit it using non-elevated notepad (with or without UAC) and there is a shortcut  for it created in start menu, MariaDB 5.2 folder (rsp MariaDB 5.2 (x64) if for 64 bit package).

There are zero performance related options, which means in fact it won't run on full speed. I have no strong opinion on it, nor I feel  qualified for configuring "optimal performance out of the box" .   If there is a strong demand on specific parameters, they should probably go there. I would like to hear more opinions on this, one thing that will definitely not be in the first incarnation of this installer is fully-featured ConfigWizard like stuff.

Where I see differences between this my.ini and MySQL installer's default is

* sql_mode (MySQL's default is  "strict transactional tables")
* default storage engine (MySQL default is innodb)
* innodb buffer pool size (IIRC, MySQL's default is something like 12% of RAM)
Those are trivial to change modifying my.ini

Stuff like innodb log file size (calculated from innodb buffer pool size) not trivial to change with simple my.ini modification, there must be a clean shutdown and exiting files need to be removed.

> But still it is a good installer (and there is a 64 bit one as well), so this is an important step in the right direction.  So thanks for your effort!

Thanks!

-- Peter